This website is specifically tailored to high school philosophy clubs, but everyone, regardless of high school affiliation, is encouraged to join and participate in the conversations and debates. An account is not required to participate in the primarily philosophical discussions, but hey, why not join the club for all of them, like the most heated of the debates in the members-only section.
This website is specifically tailored to high school philosophy clubs, but everyone, regardless of high school affiliation, is encouraged to join and participate in the conversations and debates. An account is not required to participate in the primarily philosophical discussions, but hey, why not join the club for all of them, like the most heated of the debates in the members-only section.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The content expressed on this page is not necessarily the opinion of the staff or administration of FVHS and is not always monitored by the FVHS administration

HomeSheltering your kid I_icon_mini_portalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
What discussion are you looking forward to the most?
 Addiction
 Afterlife
 Anarchy
 Beyond the Universe
 Candy
 Communism
 Eurovision
 Free Will
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 Hitler
 Honor Crimes
 Ira
 Peace
 the System
 Suicide
 Zombies
 Other (Please describe in your post)
View results
Latest topics
» Responsibility
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 pm by Key

» Who Should Be Emperess of the World
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm by Key

» What do you think of Andrew?
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:26 pm by Key

» How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 pm by Key

» What is the best quality a person can possess?
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:00 pm by Key

» What If I"m the Only Person in Existence
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm by Key

» 2-17-11 possible topic for next week!
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm by komalram

» Best cookie flavor?
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:58 pm by komalram

» What discussion(s) are you looking forward to the most?
Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 pm by AsterUchiha

Sheltering your kid

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ira
Admin
Ira

Sheltering your kid Empty
PostSubject: Sheltering your kid   Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 22, 2010 10:00 pm

Okay, this is more of a hypothetical question than a philosophical one, but I've been wondering what people would think about this. So parents who are overprotective of their kids are that way because they don't want their kid getting into bad stuff like drugs and alcohol and such, right? But what is the effect of sheltering? Does it really teach kids how to be responsible, or is it just delaying their irresponsible behavior? Would an adult who had extremely protective parents be compelled to party excessively because they never had the opportunity, or would they follow their parents' advice and just stay away from that stuff? A third possibility could be that they might party some, but not so much that it would be detrimental to their success. From what I've observed, it would seem like people who were very sheltered as kids tend to either follow their parents' advice completely or turn into booze hounds in college. I'm happy to say that I've observed a lot more of the former, but I still want to know what you all have to say. I mean, I can only speculate on what I've seen and I don't know anything about this for a fact.
Back to top Go down
quwoosh
Admin
quwoosh

PostSubject: Re: Sheltering your kid   Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 6:19 pm

Personally, I believe that some sheltering is good because if kids are exposed to stuff too early in life it may scar and/or end with them growing up and doing those same things that they were exposed too. However, I do believe that a lot of parents shelter kids WAY too much and need to let go a little on them, because kids do eventually have to learn for themselves or they won't be ready for the world when they eventually have to live on their own. For example: Sex. It's good to shelter kids from sex early on in their life, however, eventually, the kids do need to learn what sex is and about protection so no one gets pregnant before they're ready or possibly so that they don't get super embarrassed when their boyfriend or girlfriend starts taking their pants off and the kid (well, at this point they'd be older than a kid, but you get my point...) has no idea what the hell is going on.
Back to top Go down
meaganfaller

PostSubject: Re: Sheltering your kid   Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 9:19 pm

Sheltering is a broad term. As it seems to be defined in this post, you seem to be talking about keeping kids out of drugs, alcohol, and sex through protective parenting measures. My parents are overprotective and I think it's fantastic. There is, however, "protection" from new experiences, whether dangerous or just against that parents morals/religion/political doctrine, such as kids who are kept in private christians schools until twelfth grade, not allowed to watch pg-13 movies until theyre eighteen, and thinking about the opposite gender? Not even remotely allowed. I know these kids, and I pity them. There is definitely a point where a parent should go "This is what I would like my child to believe, but I want them to figure this out on their own."
Back to top Go down
Erwin Rommel

Erwin Rommel

PostSubject: Re: Sheltering your kid   Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 9:50 am

meaganfaller wrote:
Sheltering is a broad term. As it seems to be defined in this post, you seem to be talking about keeping kids out of drugs, alcohol, and sex through protective parenting measures. My parents are overprotective and I think it's fantastic. There is, however, "protection" from new experiences, whether dangerous or just against that parents morals/religion/political doctrine, such as kids who are kept in private christians schools until twelfth grade, not allowed to watch pg-13 movies until theyre eighteen, and thinking about the opposite gender? Not even remotely allowed. I know these kids, and I pity them. There is definitely a point where a parent should go "This is what I would like my child to believe, but I want them to figure this out on their own."

Well there's some people who won't watch PG-13 movies at any age even if they're 75.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheltering your kid   Sheltering your kid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sheltering your kid
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Main Discussions Area :: The Philosophical-
Jump to: