This website is specifically tailored to high school philosophy clubs, but everyone, regardless of high school affiliation, is encouraged to join and participate in the conversations and debates. An account is not required to participate in the primarily philosophical discussions, but hey, why not join the club for all of them, like the most heated of the debates in the members-only section.
This website is specifically tailored to high school philosophy clubs, but everyone, regardless of high school affiliation, is encouraged to join and participate in the conversations and debates. An account is not required to participate in the primarily philosophical discussions, but hey, why not join the club for all of them, like the most heated of the debates in the members-only section.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The content expressed on this page is not necessarily the opinion of the staff or administration of FVHS and is not always monitored by the FVHS administration

HomeWhy do we care? I_icon_mini_portalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
What discussion are you looking forward to the most?
 Addiction
 Afterlife
 Anarchy
 Beyond the Universe
 Candy
 Communism
 Eurovision
 Free Will
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 Hitler
 Honor Crimes
 Ira
 Peace
 the System
 Suicide
 Zombies
 Other (Please describe in your post)
View results
Latest topics
» Responsibility
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 pm by Key

» Who Should Be Emperess of the World
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm by Key

» What do you think of Andrew?
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:26 pm by Key

» How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 pm by Key

» What is the best quality a person can possess?
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:00 pm by Key

» What If I"m the Only Person in Existence
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm by Key

» 2-17-11 possible topic for next week!
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm by komalram

» Best cookie flavor?
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:58 pm by komalram

» What discussion(s) are you looking forward to the most?
Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 pm by AsterUchiha

Why do we care?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
komalram
Admin
komalram

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 11:26 pm

A lot of times in life, you say "I don't care." or "Whatever." or something to that effect. What I want to know is why do we care about anything? About school, grades, global warming, food, inappropriate activities involving 2 people (usually) that society deems unfit before marriage, puppies, and pretty much everything else. It's a pretty big question, so feel free to dismantle it.
Back to top Go down
Ira
Admin
Ira

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 5:22 pm

This is just an idea, but I think that the reason that we choose to be a part of society is that we want to have control over our surroundings. We want to keep the world around us as non-threatening as possible and deep down, a part of us realizes that our best chance of having control is to fulfill society's demands: going to school, getting good grades, going to college, getting a job, not committing any felonies. I mean, one of the simplest ways to gain control over your surroundings is with money; am I right? And you sure as hell don't have control if you're in jail. I think that as humans, we are terrified of the idea of having no control over our surroundings because part of what makes us human is our tendency to manipulate our environment to suit us, rather than adapting to suit our environment. And the feeling of having no power, having your surroundings control you, drives people to drastic measures. An example of this would be gang violence. Those who feel powerless will do anything to take some of it. This could also apply to suicide. If someone feels like their surroundings are controlling them and they are unable to adapt, they might feel like their only option is to give up. This is getting kind of off-topic, but it's just a stream-of-consciousness type thing.
Back to top Go down
komalram
Admin
komalram

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 10:00 pm

stream-of-conciousness works well here

yeah, wanting to control things is a great incentive for giving a damn about them, power can be addicting

what do you think about people who like losing control though? The ones who are daredevils and use drugs?
Back to top Go down
Ira
Admin
Ira

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 5:22 pm

I don't think that people use drugs as a way of gaining control. I think that people who use drugs do it so they can temporarily forget about their lack of control.
Back to top Go down
Magickirby

Magickirby

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 12:41 am

Well, Ira, let's take House as a counterexample. He is an obvious drug addict, but he's in more control when he has drugs than when he does not have drugs.

Also, some drug users have control when they take drugs. I mean, it's not like every drug taker overdoes. Maybe it's like a casual thing that they do, like smoking at a grave because the person who died liked it when the person smoked.
Back to top Go down
Ira
Admin
Ira

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 8:48 pm

Yeah, but it would be kind of counterintuitive to take drugs just for the purpose of gaining control.
Back to top Go down
komalram
Admin
komalram

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 9:06 pm

It seems pretty counterintuitive to take drugs too though
"I want to do this even though I know I shouldn't!"
Back to top Go down
Ira
Admin
Ira

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Yeah, that pretty much says it.
Back to top Go down
komalram
Admin
komalram

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 9:52 pm

i guess that does get into the idea of "should" though

like, we know we should care about things because people are always telling you you're supposed to care and have an opinion, like that's why english teachers assign essays, right?
Back to top Go down
quwoosh
Admin
quwoosh

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 10:39 pm

I care about things because they either make me happier or will lead to making me happier later on. For example: School. I care about getting an education because it will allow me to get a better job, make more money and live comfortably which will make me happier than say if I flunked out of school, lived on the streets and had to beg for money to obtain enough food/stuff to survive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Why do we care? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why do we care?   Why do we care? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why do we care?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Main Discussions Area :: The Philosophical-
Jump to: