This website is specifically tailored to high school philosophy clubs, but everyone, regardless of high school affiliation, is encouraged to join and participate in the conversations and debates. An account is not required to participate in the primarily philosophical discussions, but hey, why not join the club for all of them, like the most heated of the debates in the members-only section.
This website is specifically tailored to high school philosophy clubs, but everyone, regardless of high school affiliation, is encouraged to join and participate in the conversations and debates. An account is not required to participate in the primarily philosophical discussions, but hey, why not join the club for all of them, like the most heated of the debates in the members-only section.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The content expressed on this page is not necessarily the opinion of the staff or administration of FVHS and is not always monitored by the FVHS administration

HomeWhat if you were God? I_icon_mini_portalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Poll
What discussion are you looking forward to the most?
 Addiction
 Afterlife
 Anarchy
 Beyond the Universe
 Candy
 Communism
 Eurovision
 Free Will
 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
 Hitler
 Honor Crimes
 Ira
 Peace
 the System
 Suicide
 Zombies
 Other (Please describe in your post)
View results
Latest topics
» Responsibility
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:40 pm by Key

» Who Should Be Emperess of the World
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:27 pm by Key

» What do you think of Andrew?
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:26 pm by Key

» How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:23 pm by Key

» What is the best quality a person can possess?
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:00 pm by Key

» What If I"m the Only Person in Existence
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 4:56 pm by Key

» 2-17-11 possible topic for next week!
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:20 pm by komalram

» Best cookie flavor?
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:58 pm by komalram

» What discussion(s) are you looking forward to the most?
What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:04 pm by AsterUchiha

What if you were God?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ira
Admin
Ira

What if you were God? Empty
PostSubject: What if you were God?   What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 pm

If you were God, how would you deal with people and the world? If you saw something that displeased you, would you intervene or would you let events unfold of their own accord? Would you create an afterlife or have reincarnation?
Back to top Go down
quwoosh
Admin
quwoosh

PostSubject: Re: What if you were God?   What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:43 pm

If I were God, I'd let events unfold on their own. I may not like the way this ends up, but I can't step in and save everyone because then everyone would live forever and I wouldn't be able to make the decision who lives and who dies because to me they would all be my children and I wouldn't just be able to pick one simply because he behaves badly and send him to his death.... sort of like most parents with their children: No matter what they always love them and do their best to protect them, but they can't always be there and need to let them grow and learn on their own.

I would not have any sort of afterlife or reincarnation because although humans can seem to bear the idea of no longer living, I don't believe living forever is really in our best interest and that we'd all eventually grow to hate it.
Back to top Go down
meaganfaller

PostSubject: Re: What if you were God?   What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 10:14 pm

If I were a god, I would probably kill myself. How depressing to live up in eternity, constantly yearning for an equal but never having one. Humans would kind of be like having a bunch of dogs or perpetually young children : they will never love you as much as you love them, and though they're precious to you, they don't have the same concerns. Who do you go to for council as a god? And I don't believe for a second that god doesn't need counseling, if half of his creations hate him or don't believe he exists, and a good portion of the other half are exploiting and misusing his word for their own social-political gain.
And then I have a beautiful son, a part of me (this is following the Chrisitan ideology) and he's killed and when he returns.. he becomes a part of me. Great, I made myself one true companion and now he's this voice in my head, a bit like the scripture-version of my childhood self, talking to me in my dreams.
And imagine loving(how many people are on this planet?) a billion people and having this weird nervous excitement every time one of them (one of the good ones at least) died, like facechatting with someone for seventy years and then suddenly getting to meet them face-to-face.
It would be hard, and werid. And painful and after a few milleniums, I'd probably put my kingdom in the hands of John or Paul and tell my angels to carry on my work after I died.
And if the maker of eternity dies, where would he go?
Back to top Go down
komalram
Admin
komalram

PostSubject: Re: What if you were God?   What if you were God? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Being God is a pretty scary thought. Like, I'd love to be able to protect everyone and have everyone be happy, but I feel like I'm not the right person for the job. Some days I'd treat everyone the same, but if I was in a really bad mood or something, what if I abused my powers? Though if I were God, I'd try to directly talk to people more. When something terrible happens to someone, I'd tell them why it happened and everything.

Whoa, this is kind of crazy but, imagine if God really did come down from wherever he was and tell someone the Truth. It could be anything I guess, but I mean no one would ever believe the guy He told. But, for the record, He did tell someone, it's just that no one believed him.

@meaganfaller I don't think God goes anywhere, like I wouldn't call his existence life, it's something beyond life I think. I'm not sure what exactly, but right now I feel like my take on God is that he's not one thing, he's everything. So, he never just dies and goes poof, I'm starting to think no one does. People come into this world and leave, so maybe he's the thing that's always there, the absolute.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What if you were God?   What if you were God? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if you were God?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Main Discussions Area :: The Philosophical-
Jump to: